The world all of a sudden has changed to silent mode due to the deadliest covid-19 pandemic. More than 600,000 world populations have been affected by the deadliest disease out of which almost 30,000 people lost their lives battling with it.
What coronavirus actually is?
According to world health organization (WHO), coronavirus is one of the viruses that are transmitted from animals to humans just like severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
SARS was said to be transmitted from civet cats, while camel caused the transmission of MERS. The latest coronavirus is said to be passed on from bats and snakes, however, there are still a lot of viruses from the corona family that are yet not transmitted to humans.
The new coronavirus was identified on 7th January by Chinese doctors and the WHO declared it as covid-19 (Co: corona, V: virus, D: disease, 19: 2019 is the year in which virus was identified) pandemic. There is a lot said about the virus but still, a lot needs to be confirmed yet.
Symptoms of the covid-19
The early symptoms of Covid-19 start with a dry cough, mild or severe flu, sore throat or itchy throat, runny eyes, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, fatigue, extreme tiredness and pain in the body, fever, and shortness of breath according to WHO.
The early stage of the infection might not show the symptoms however, with the passage of time it gets worse leading to pneumonia, organ failure and death even.
However, it is not necessary for any person to have the virus to show any of the above symptoms. Any person might seem healthy but can possibly have the virus.
How to protect yourself from the coronavirus?
The virus is spread through human to human contact through the droplets of respiratory when a person having the virus sneezes or coughs. There are currently no vaccines or medicines available to treat the covid-19. Therefore it is very important to take precautionary measures to save yourself and those around you from the disease.
According to WHO following steps should be taken to prevent yourself from the virus;
- Wash your hands with soap for at least 20 seconds after every half an hour. Especially when you are out in a public place and meeting people then wash your hand or use a sanitizer immediately after the contact.
- Always keep a hand sanitizer with you and use it frequently.
- Avoid shaking hands with people, don’t touch your face, eyes or nose with unwashed hands.
- Keep a minimum distance of 6 feet from people around you
Steps to prevent others from the disease if you are sick:
- Stay home and don’t go out until necessary if you are sick.
- Always wear a mask.
- Cover your face with elbow or arm when you are about to cough or sneeze.
- Immediately wash your hands after you have coughed or sneezed.
- Clean and disinfect your home at least 2 to 3 times a day.
The incubation period for the virus is almost 12 to 14 days. If a person has any sort of travel history then he/she must isolate herself for at least 14 days as the symptoms often appear on the 5th or 6th day.
How to treat the virus?
There are currently no treatments, medicines or vaccines that can be used to cure this pandemic. The vaccines and medicines are under study and yet to be made by the experts but still, something needs to be done to cure it at the moment.
- However, for now, the most important thing a person with the symptoms can do is consult a medical officer as soon as possible. The doctor will let you know what medicine or treatment should be taken depending upon the symptoms you have.
- The second thing one should do is boost up their immunity system by having natural foods and liquid.
- Take a lot of rest. Sleep for more than 8 hours.
- Hydrate yourself by having lots of liquids.
- Keep yourself warm and use a humidifier or steam.
- Avoid having cold water instead, drink it warm.
Who is most at the risk?
People with a weak immunity system are most at the risk to catch the virus. Usually, older people and children have weaker immune systems than youngsters and adults, so they are most likely to catch the virus from others who already have it.
The need of the hour
The thing that is needed at the moment is not to panic. If you have the symptoms or you think you might be at risk then isolate yourself and take the precautionary natural methods. Most importantly do not use any medicine without consulting your doctor. A lot of is roaming around the globe to treat the virus but everything is not true.